Are you headed into the July 4th weekend excited to party with family and friends, but nervous about endless buffets of food? Start with a plan and try these festive yet healthy red, white and blue recipes.
Watermelon Berry Pizza:
- Has a high water content (92% water!), so it can help with your overall hydration
- Packs in vitamins A, B6, and C
- Contains lycopene, a cancer-fighting antioxidant that provides that bright red color
- Packed with antioxidants
- An excellent source of fiber, aiding in digestion
- High in protein, calcium, zinc, and B vitamins
- An excellent source of probiotics to stimulate a healthy digestive system
**If you are dairy free, try using Anita’s Coconut Yogurt**
- 4 watermelon slices, sliced into triangles
- ½ cup greek yogurt 2%-full fat
- 1 tsp. honey
- Berries, or other toppings
- Slice your watermelon accordingly.
- In a bowl, stir together greek yogurt and honey until combined.
- Spread yogurt-honey mixture over watermelon slices.
- Top with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Feel free to get creative with your toppings!
Blueberry Caprese Salad
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼- ½ cup blueberries
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Slice mozzarella into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Alternating between the tomatoes and mozzarella, place them in a circle on a plate.
- Sprinkle with halved cherry tomatoes, and blueberries.
Get creative! Sub feta or ricotta cheese for mozzarella, add jicama or blackberries. Drizzle with olive oil to taste.